Friday, February 20, 2009

Double Indemnity

So I brought up in class how I didn't buy that Phyllis was a victim; I still don't buy it. But to elaborate I'll tell you what I was really thinking about in class, and then what I figured out tonight while thinking about it after class.

Phyllis is a "black widow" character, if there is such a thing in iconology (I know it's been used at least once to explain this archetype). She preys upon unsuspecting men, marrying them and then killing them and collecting will money (or in this case accident insurance). Think Adams Family Values if you're not following.

But what I realized is that the entire archetype of the "black widow" is more than likely an evolution of the vengeful housewife. While Phyllis in Double Indemnity isn't exactly a victim, she still very much personifies the victimization of women in marriages and revenge fantasies.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you used the term "black widow" and I think that really sums up her type of character. Her type of character is definately nothing like the stereo-typical wife of that time. In response to your ideas on the whole femme fatale/evil woman character I wonder how women viewed Phyllis' character when watching this movie for the first time. Like how many women secretly wished they could be more dangerous and risky like Phyllis or if they truely just saw her character as a disgusting human being? Anyway, you idea of the vengeful housewife is a good theory I never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first thought, I found it really hard to view Phyllis as a victim. She was the one who wanted to kill her husband and collect on his insurance. She was also the one who has killed in the past to get into the very position she wanted to kill again to get out of. Nothing about that screams "victim." Yet after discussing in class I started to think about Walter's role in the grand scheme. In a way, he made her a victim by entering her house and seducing her even though he knew that she had a husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Very insightful entry. All that's running through my head is if you had to classify this 'black widow' archetyped character would it be UNDER the femme fatale persona or would it be something that would be on its own. Like would it be classified as a type of femme fatale i guess is what i'm getting at... Anyways, for the time period abuse in the home was something that was considered 'a personal matter' and wasn't discussed publicly.. or privately for that matter. I like how you you referred to this as a revenge fantasy. Very awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. She is in some ways a classic femme fatale. You really should read the class reading that discusses this figure--it will give you a way to expand this perspective.

    Ultimately, the point I was going for isn't whether or not she was a victim, but rather the larger picture of society that this movie gives us, and some ways that that can be a bit more complex than it looks on the surface.

    ReplyDelete